Monday, January 14, 2013

Put your past in your behind

Scars remind us where we've been, but they don't have to dictate where we're going. -Rossi, Criminal Minds

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters, compared to what lies within us.  -Emerson

Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. -Philippians 3:13-14

I'm pretty good at encouraging my kids to forgive themselves and move on...or forgive their friends and then move on.  I'm much better at doing that myself than I used to be.

Why are we, especially women, so brutal to ourselves?  Why do we think that even though GOD has forgiven us through Christ's sacrifice, we must have a "higher standard" and not forgive ourselves.  And if we happen to be pretty good at giving ourselves a break, how often do we give other people grace?  Not often enough, if we're honest with ourselves.

I want to be better.  I want to show grace.  Perhaps as I get better at accepting grace, I will be better at showing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment