Friday, June 15, 2012

Lots to Learn

Today I spent watering and weeding my garden - it was overdue.  Apparently my lessons were also overdue, because I felt there there were a LOT of applications today.

I had to tie my cucumbers onto the trellis netting, because they were getting into the tomatoes and they would try to take over the garden.  They also need the training up the trellis because I think the fruit is better when it's up off the ground and I can see it, so it doesn't get chewed on by slugs or stepped on by people.  As I tied, I realized sometimes I'm tied to, or being trained up, the trellis of God's instruction.  It's for my benefit as well as for others (those tomatoes will be happy the cukes are out of their way!).

I moved on to the tomatoes on the other side.  They're growing like crazy, with branches coming out all over the place and crowding out the smaller tomatoes.  As I hacked the extra branches back and restrained them back to their own cages, I saw that sometimes I am trimmed and pushed back to where I belong so that others can grow.

I started to clean out between the carrots - what a mess.  I left the water running all morning as I weeded and cleaned out old plants, and as I looked at how great the lettuce and carrots are doing (you should know those two things hardly ever grow for me!), I thought about my dad's admonishment about watering.  "It should be done every day," he said.  I have ignored that advice for years, because I thought, well, why can't they survive on the rain they get??  They do....but they're bitter and they're tough and we don't like to eat them.  I pondered the idea that maybe I COULD grow on only what I learn on my own (personal Bible reading), but that I don't really THRIVE unless I'm being watered by others....my pastor, my home group, my husband, my kids, my neighbors.

Lastly, an application that goes along with the picture.  I love feeding the hummingbirds, but have you ever noticed how they won't share?  There's a huge fountain of sweetness that will be overfilled without any work on their part and they fight to keep others away.   I'll let you ponder that one on your own.


No comments:

Post a Comment