Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Teeny Blessings

As I poured my coffee this morning, I looked out, as I do every morning, over the backyard.  I look to see if there are any creatures (we've had foxes, rabbits, groundhogs, 'possums, and of course birds) roaming around.  This morning I noticed my garden gate had been left open.  After reading that list of animals, you can see why I went out immediately to see if there had been any damage.

I checked the lettuce first, because I figured that would be the tastiest to the bunnies I've seen, but nothing.  I did a quick look to be sure there weren't any creatures actually hiding in the garden, and then I went around, just "surveying the kingdom".  It needs to be done every day, anyway.

As I checked out the potatoes, I noticed several leaves had been chewed up.  I instantly thought, "oh no, potato bugs".  I've had them every year I've grown potatoes and I HATE them.  They're voracious eaters, it's really hard to pick off all of them, and it usually means that I just have to use pesticide.  I try really hard not to use pesticide, but these little buggers are so awful.  

When I lifted a leaf to check out the underside (because that's where those rotten things hang out), I didn't see any potato bugs....but I did find this little guy.  I cheered !!!  The picture's a bit fuzzy, since he's so teeny, but it's a praying mantis nymph.  They are wonderful predators.  We used to buy ootheca (mantis egg sacs) off Ebay, hatch them, and release them into the garden.  

I also have many garden spiders this year, which is also terrific.

A lot of you won't understand my teeny blessings post and will wonder why I'm so happy about "creepy-crawlies".  That's okay.  God blessed me by giving me bugs in my garden and I appreciate it.  

Have you counted any teeny blessings??

No comments:

Post a Comment