Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Am I Thankful?

I have recently finished (re)reading One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp.  I love it (as evidenced by the "re").  She talks about "eucharist", our communion with God.  Eucharist comes from "charis", or grace, and the root of "charis" is thanks.

Obviously, I'm thinking about how thankful I am - and if I would be when bad things happen.  It certainly won't happen because I'm all spiritual.  It will be purely because of the grace of God and the guidance of the Holy Spirit.

I don't know if this happens to anyone else, but God always reinforces what he's trying to teach me.  I'll read it in different places, or listen to a sermon, or hear a song that ties into what He wants me learn.

My Bible reading this morning was in Malachi - which it shouldn't have been.  My plan did not have me there, but that's where I was.  I love it when God moves like that!  The very first verses tie right into the theme of thankfulness.

"I have loved you," says the LORD.
"But you ask, 'How have you loved us?'"

There's more of course, but I got stuck right there.  How often do I doubt God's love for me?  It should be so obvious - He sent Christ to die for me, so OF COURSE He loves me.  But if you need more (and don't we always want more?!?), it occurred to me that "every day things" are God's blessings.  Do I thank him for my senses?  My limbs?  My ability to think?  The gift of healthy children?  These are not things I "deserve" or things I should expect, and yet....I do.  I ask "why" when bad things happen, but never ask "why" about good things.  Why don't I?  Because I still think I should get good things just because I'm alive.  Yes, God blesses us, but we should be humble.  I should be humble.

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of heavenly lights."  -James 1:17

No comments:

Post a Comment